SCMS 2013 - my first full marathon








Uh huh. On 1 December 2013 (Sunday) I officially completed the first marathon in my life with a timing of 6 hours and 54 minutes.

It's the longest distance; the longest time taken for a run I've ever done in my life.

The first 17km was doable, although my speed consistently slowed down. I was glad I kept up quite a moderately fast pace for the first 10km.

“Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.”

Pass the 17km mark I started to feel a bit light headed & extremely sleepy, possibly due to a lack of glucose in my body. So my run buddy jj suggested that we take some 100 plus at the next drinks station.

I happily obliged. Bearing in mind during my first half marathon, I gulped down a cup of 100 plus only to puke it all out 10 mins later (& it still tasted like 100 plus except that it was warm 😂), I sipped my 100 plus instead of gulping it down.

“Brave the pain. Celebrate after.”

For the remaining way of the marathon, it was a combination of running, walking, one toilet break, drinking water & 100 plus, and eating energy gel (which tasted shitty btw) + half a banana.

I ate and drank so much that I barely lost any weight after the race haha. I lost 2 kg straightaway after my first half marathon 2 years ago. But I only lost about 1 kg after this full marathon (which all came back already btw 😔)

Thanks to jj who accompanied and pulled me along throughout the entire race; running according to my pace as much as we can, chatting as we were walking when we couldn't find the energy to run, making fun of other runners along the way, and getting shot by watergun from the power rangers marathoners. It wasn't as grueling an experience as I thought it would be.

Towards the last 5km, every step is mildly torturous but you don't wanna stop knowing the end is near.

As we completed the last 5 km 1km by 1km; 4km left.. 3km left.. 2km left... I felt overwhelmed and very touched that i was this near to completing a marathon! I teared up a little, tho that quickly turned to frustration when we were supposedly on our last km but the finish line was nowhere in sight!

However as we walked from the pavement onto the stretch of road that will bring us to the finish line (along the way jogging a little whenever we spotted cameras haha) I suddenly saw the finish line in plain view right ahead.

I turned to jj and shouted in exhilaration: "I see the finish line! Let's go let's go!!" And started running as hard as my tortured legs could take me, and literally screamed my way through the finish line.



And the rest, as they say, is history.

A major milestone in my life's history and definitely one off the bucket list!

I AM A MARATHONER!!!

Would I do it again? Prolly not in the near future anytime soon (unless I train). The recovery process is more tedious than the marathon itself!

You Might Also Like

0 comments