Dimsum buffet @ Ah Yat + day trip to JB



So a few months back Ms Soh jio-ed us all to buy this Groupon voucher for a $25 dimsum buffet at Ah Yat Seafood and we did. Reservations were made and 6 of us went for the buffet last Sat - myself, ah tan, Ms Soh + her SO Zhiyuan, Jui and Sarah.

Since it was a buffet, and I am very bad at buffets (i.e. my stomach capacity is totally not worth it for buffets) I declared that I had to eat at least $25 worth of food before I call it a day. I stopped counting after my first bowl of porridge though haha. But I was really super stuffed after that so I do hope whatever went into my tummy was worth $25.

Anyway, here's what we ate! (photos credit to ah tan cos I forgot to bring my camera out zzz)

century egg porridge

mini egg tarts

siew mai

steamed carrot cake

har gao 

fu pi juan

pan fried carrot cake

chee cheong fun with char siew filling

my all time fave - char siew pao!

second all time fave: liu sha pao!

love the flowing salted egg yolk. slurps!

mini claypot rice which was quite fail

fried banana with red bean paste - which tasted a lot like goreng pisang

I think I ate like 3 liu sha baos that day. O_O


Food that doesn't belong to us. They were delivered wrongly to our table! Lol. We managed to snap shots before they took them away.

ah tan and me! If you're reading this now, have a safe flight and trip to Australia and come back safely! (with my macademia nuts and krispy kreme)

me and Sarah machiam like strangers

Ms Soh and I

After the dimsum buffet we headed to meet 2 other friends to prepare on our embarkation to "JB for a day!"

I have only driven to JB before and it was my first time taking a bus there. Being a Saturday, it was SO crowded and we had to wait ages before we could board the bus and the weather was SO hawt. By the time we finally set foot in JB it was already 5-ish and the sun was setting!

Nonetheless, we managed to shop around a bit; some got their hair cut and washed (me!) while some had her manicure done.. while others had cakes from Secret Recipe and Baskin Robbins ice cream. Haha.

After passing through the customs! Happy that we are finally in JB!

First stop: Rotiboy! Remember how it was brought in to Singapore and thereafter so many imitations came up and eventually everything died? Yeah. That. I used to like it a lot and would queue up for it at Clementi on my way to school. Awesome when it's piping hot!

While queueing, we had nothing to do but camwhore. Haha.


The 2 other friends we met! Kang and Peifen

Rotiboy mascot and Ms Soh

We had originally planned to catch a movie at City Square before heading for a seafood dinner but unfortch there were no suitable movie timings available thus we had to forego that. I so wanted to watch the Life of Pi in 3D!

Anyways, City Square mall was huuuge and we didn't even have time to walk through the whole mall. Parts of it were still under renovation though, and it was bearably crowded. That means crowded but not to the point of unbearable. (Think Orchard underpass on weekends - THAT is unbearably crowded. Or the walkway from 313 to OC.)

Went to Jantzen wanting to cut our hair but it was full so they told us to come back half an hour later. However, we happened to walk past this shop selling wall stickers and I pre-ordered 2 designs to be put up on my walls when my room is done with its refurbishing!

 
I have customised them in fuchsia to match my new furniture :D

I took such a long time finalising my choice (sorry!) that we went back to the salon half an hour late and it was still full and they told us to come back another half an hour later zzz. Was about to forego the haircut and just shop around when someone suddenly recalled a Jean Yip signage somewhere and we decided to go check it out and it was empty! Ultimate yayness. So Kang, Jui and myself proceeded to cut our hair while Yu went for a manicure; the rest went in search for some foot reflexology.

Me and Kang with our newly cut and washed hair! To be honest there isn't much difference HAHA but my hairstylist is still not back from Malaysia and my hair is totally growing out of hand! HENCE. Better a trim than nothing. And it's only RM48! Cheap cheap. 

Yu doing her Christmassy nails

They look like this! And only RM75 with quick dry

The rest couldn't find any foot reflexology so they bought cakes from Secret Recipe and Baskin Robbins while waiting for Yu to be done with her manicure. Why the cakes in Malaysia so cheap it's like half priced! Boo to the Secret Recipe in Singapore.

When we were getting our hair cut at Jean Yip the foot reflexology gang was happily chatting with some receptionist and hairstylist at Jean Yip and they recommended a super cheap seafood place about 10 mins drive from City Square called Restoran Asli. And so we went there.

It was indeed cheap. The total damage was RM170 for 7 pax - that amounts up to less than SGD10 per pax! However, be prepared for a long wait and lots of self-service plus toilets without standards... Haha. And the location is pretty out of the way so unless you drive, you have to take a cab in. However even after you factor in the cab fare the total cost still works out to be VERY cheap.

I thought this was the most amazingly priced - mee goreng at RM3

If you are a big fan of local chili crabs from Long Beach or No Signboard etc, you will be sorely disappointed with this.

Salted egg yolk crab - I'm not a big fan of crabs so I didn't try this

Fried mantous to go with the chili crabs. Personally I LOVE fried mantous but unfortch I didn't like the chili crabs so... waste of calories!

dua tao which was not bad if a bit too salty

Kailan was nothing to complain (or rave) about

Salted egg sotong - the taste was not too bad but it was too oily that it wasn't crispy anymore. Can you imagine!?

Drunken prawns. Possibly the highlight of the meal. Serving was really generous and soup was good. I hate prawns but I ate one of this and it was really juicy and succulent and so fresh that it didn't have the foul taste I usually associate prawns with. 

Know what I mean about the drunken prawns? Haha. Completely wiped out. 

We actually ordered cereal crayfish as well which never came. Suspect that they actually ran out of crayfish but didn't bother informing us. Oh well. We were all pretty much stuffed so no one complained.

My verdict? 6/10. The food although cheap, wasn't entirely worth the wait or the drive down. I would rather pay more and go to Taman Sentosa where you don't have to wait too long and the toilets are clean!!! (and can go opposite to sing $10 KTV after dinner)



After dinner we had to call cabs to bring us out, and we headed straight for the checkpoint. Lucky us managed to catch the last bus out of JB back to Sillypore and also the last train back to AMK. Thank you Yu's daddy for giving me a lift home else I would have walked home from AMK mrt at like 1 in the morning.

Some instagram snaps:

my otd on Saturday: cropped racer front top and shorts from hervelvetvase

otd for company year end cocktail: gala drape dress from Ohvola and arm candy Sarah's mum bought for us gals from Israel. Super sweet of her. That is me with swollen lips btw. And I don't even know why it was swollen! Thank God it subsided already. 

Attending USS Hollywood After Party with sissy: Peplum top from thetinselrack and skinnies from ASOS 

 Half the make-up stash I use daily belongs to sissy lol

 otd for Sunday: Simple dress with shredded sleeves from loveandbravery warehouse sale last week! It's not possible to go for a buffet in this dress. 


Lastly, I must remind myself to always look this happy no matter how shitty life gets. Despite my wrinkles and eyebags. Even if I don't feel happy, looking happy is a good start, methinks.

I think this blog post is too wordy and boring LOL. Kudos to you if you made it till the end! I will strive to blog better. Till then!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. i read this and will bring back some Auzzie stuff hopefully i can! U girls better take care too back home here... in 6 more hours. Wheeee~ yu

    ReplyDelete