From London to Amsterdam

Best friend Edwin was studying in Amsterdam and since I had the rare opportunity to visit London, I couldn't possibly miss out on a chance to visit him in Amsterdam which was just a train/plane ride away!

So I researched on some train and air prices and decided that taking a plane was the fastest way as I didn't have much time to spare. By plane it's only about 2 hours away, with a one hour time difference if I remember correctly.

Hence before I made my way to London I bought my air tickets from London to Amsterdam on easyJet  - a budget airline which caused me about slightly less than S$200. As I was trying to cut costs I chose to fly from Gatwick airport (the main airport of London is Heathrow Airport) which was definitely less accessible than Heathrow airport (which you can access via tube easily). Thus I spent another S$40 to book bus tickets via easyBus (yep same company as easyJet) to be picked up from a location in London to Gatwick airport and back. Not sure if I had chosen to fly from Heathrow and save on the bus costs the amount spent would still be the same. Haha.

Anyways on 30 Oct afternoon I made my way to Earls Court by tube to the bus pick up location. I made sure to choose an early arrival time so I don't miss my flight. It was an evening flight - so I'll reach Amsterdam at night, have a full day the next day, and then fly back to London in the morning the following day.


As I was on the bus, enjoying the view of the setting sun as we turned into Gatwick Airport

In my haste to pack, I forgot about the 100-ml rule and hurriedly bought empty 100-ml bottles from Boots so I can keep my 200-ml makeup remover from being thrown away - it was expensive! Eventually, they only allowed ONE lousy small bag of bottles and I had to throw some bottles away. Thankfully most of them were finishing. 

Flying over Amsterdam at night

And I finally met up with best friend at Schiphol Airport!

Upon touch down, free wifi was available (wheeeee! so much better than the London airports) and I made contact with best friend who was slightly delayed cos of the train. The first thought I had was "all the male airport staff are so cute!" hahahaha. No kidding man. I saw mostly young, buff men. Even at the immigration counter. Unlike those usual ajhumma and ahjussi type of officers you see at most airports. Haha.

When I met best friend we had a quick dinner at Burger King before he brought me to explore the red light district a little.

Buying a train ticket and everything is in Dutch!

Vending machines for piping hot snacks and burgers


Some blurred shops along the alleys of the red light district as I didn't dare to take too many photos openly

Basically, prostitution and sex shows are rampant over here. You will pass by "display windows" where it is just a small room with floor to ceiling glass windows and doors. The prostitutes will be posing in front scantily clad, and if you were interested, you can ask for a price and upon consent, the curtains will be drawn and you can proceed to do your thing. 

Saw many posing and soliciting business - of all ages and sizes. Also passed by some with the curtains drawn. It was quite an eye opener the way the trade was conducted so openly in Amsterdam.

There were also "theaters" where you view "sex shows". You can see signages that go "Live Sex Performance" etc along with blown up photos which I was too *gulp* to take a close look at. Especially since I was with a guy. But I heard from friends that such shows are usually funny instead of erotic? Not too sure man. But pay to see someone have sex on stage? Errr no thanks.

After walking around a bit more we headed home to Edwin's apartment by bus. I was exhausted and couldn't wait to get into bed! It was tiring lugging my heavy travel bag around.

Edwin stayed in this small student apartment with another house mate. The apartment had 2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen and a toilet. It was shabby looking but provided all the necessities. I have no idea how Edwin can study though. His bedroom is smaller and so cramped there's no space for a study table or a proper wardrobe. Lucky he's a guy.

What you see is what you get. This angle was taken from the door. I have to say it's quite cosy though. Which helps in the cold weather. Haha.

And that concludes my first night in Amsterdam. Will continue about the next day in my next post and that will finally bring me to the end of my London-Amsterdam travelogue!

Some mobile snaps:

Super amusing photo of baby quarreling with her enemy - my auntie's chihuahua! These two had a long feud since years ago man. 

Was wishing for a craftholic bunny just the day before and this magically appeared on my desk one morning! Thanks to my sissyyyy heheh <3

OTD for company Lunar New Year cocktail reception: Love Bonito Caitlin Cheongsam Dress in Pink. Received praises that night :D and did I mention that our GOH Minister Lui Tuck Yew took the MRT to our event? We had to shift the welcome party from Fairmont Hotel lobby to City Hall MRT station. Faints. Good thing the train only broke down AFTER he alighted! Hahaha 

 Rare lunch with the parents - Blanco Prawn Noodles. Yummy


 Yes doggies?

Friday lunch at Group Therapy. Food and coffee were both awesome! Would definitely go back there again since it's so near my office 


Hope I am doing alright with the upkeep of my blog thus far... Lol. Would appreciate any comments or feedback for improvement! :D

You Might Also Like

0 comments